Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Buca di Beppo's Spicy Chicken Rigatoni

Did you know that October was National Pasta Month?  Me neither and so here I am sneaking in this pasta dish just in the nick of time!

Pasta would have to be one of my favorite foods EVER.  I mean, what's not to love about this versatile dish?    It can be dressed up Italian or Asian or even with a Mexican flair.  You can make it in your oven like this Pierogi and Kielbasa Bake  or on your stovetop like this Stovetop Mac and Cheese.  I could eat pasta EVERY SINGLE DAY and not get bored.  When I was growing up I told my mom I preferred pasta to rice and she basically made me feel like the worst Asian person ever.  It's blasphemy to dislike rice!

I enjoy finding copy-cat recipes of restaurant favorites and this one comes from the family-style Italian chain, Buca di Beppo.  I had this dish at a recent work lunch and found it a nice remake of a previous dish that I got there, the Penne Rosa (pink sauce).  This new-to-me version, Spicy Chicken Rigatoni, was much improved by the addition of many flecks of crushed red pepper!  If you can't handle spicy foods, this probably isn't the dish for you...unless perhaps if you decrease the crushed red pepper in the dish but then it'd just be Chicken Rigatoni!  However, if you like spice and you like garlic, you'll love this dish.

It's so easy to make at home (Hello jarred sauces! And, if you're feeling extra lazy, hello pre-cooked chicken strips or rotisserie chicken, too!) and tastes just like the real thing so impress your date and save some money, too!

One Year Ago: Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars, Apple Cinnamon Truffles, and Mini Triple Treat Cupcakes (A simple Halloween treat!)
Three Years Ago: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Buca di Beppo's Spicy Chicken Rigatoni



Ingredients

  • 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup marinara sauce
  • 1/2 cup Alfredo sauce
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
To garnish: 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Directions
  1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and butter.  Add garlic and crushed red pepper cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
  2. Add marinara and Alfredo sauces and peas. Then season with salt and pepper.  Heat until warmed.
  3. Stir in the cooked pasta and chicken breast slices.  If desired, garnish with additional crushed red pepper.
Source: Slightly modified from Bucca di Beppo at Home

2 comments:

Hezzi-D said...

I could also eat pasta everyday of my life. I haven't been to Buca in several years but this makes me want to go next time I visit my parents!

Carole said...

Hi there. The current Food on Friday is all about pasta and noodles! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.