Friday, September 14, 2012

Guest Post by Jenna's Cooking Journey: Oatmeal Caramelitas

Today I'm happy to share with you a blogger from a local online cooking community that I participate in, What's Cooking?.  I love how vibrant the community is and there are people on there from novices to the food blog famous.  Each day, everyone shares the recipes that they've created.  It is also how I came to become part of the Recipe Swap.

Jenna and I both started cooking about the same stage in our lives - when we were in college and therefore needing to be able to provide sustenance for ourselves.  She, again like me, shares a variety of foods on her blog - mostly savory (such as this Breakfast Grilled Cheese that I think would be delicious...any excuse to eat grilled cheese all times of day!) with a sprinkling of sweet (such as Better than Sex Cake - my mother-in-law introduced me to this dessert...it is pretty darn amazing! and S'mores Brownies).

Please check out the rest of Jenna's blog at Jenna’s Cooking Journey!

Three Years Ago: Sausage, Onion, and Green Pepper Fra Diavolo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Christine asked for people to guest post on her blog, I jumped at it. I still feel pretty new to blogging (about a year and a half), and have only done one guest post, so I thought it would be fun.

I got into cooking in college, but really started cooking when I met my husband. I love finding new recipes and challenging both of us to try new things. Please drop by my blog Jenna’s Cooking Journey to check out my posts.

These bars are absolutely delicious. It was hard for me to send these bars into my husband’s office because I wanted to keep them all for myself. The bars are a little crumbly, so they definitely have to be paired with a napkin or a plate, but the chocolate and caramel center is so good that you forget about the crumbles going everywhere.


Oatmeal Caramelitas

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks of butter (1 cup), at room temperature
  • 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cups Quick-Cooking Oats
  • 1 (14-ounce) bag Kraft soft caramel candies (about 50), unwrapped
  • ½ cup evaporated milk
  • 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish (or use nonstick baking spray).
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Place the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until creamy.
  4. Slowly add the flour mixture and blend until incorporated. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to fold in the oats. The mixture will be crumbly.
  5. Transfer half (about 3 cups) of the mixture to the baking dish. Use your fingers to gently press and spread the mixture evenly on the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes to set.
  6. While the first layer is baking, place the caramels and milk in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the caramels are melted. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
  7. Remove the crust from the oven. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top. Carefully pour the caramel mixture on top of the chocolate chips, and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
  8. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until the bars are set. Cut into squares.

No comments: