Friday, July 13, 2012

Recipe Swap: Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Portabellas

The theme for this Recipe Swap was Vegetarian.  I submitted my favorite veggie meal - Sauceless Garden Lasagna and received this recipe from Jenna's Cooking Journey.  See the full round-up at Taste of Home Cooking.

I love mushrooms and I love spinach artichoke dip so I thought this recipe would be a no-brainer home run for me.  But I have to admit that it fell a little bit flat in terms of flavor.  I'm not sure where it went wrong since most others that have made it had raved about it.  Maybe I didn't put enough salt?  Or maybe it was my substitution of Greek yogurt for the mayo?  Whatever the reason, something just seemed to be missing from this recipe for me and I probably won't be making it again as written.  Possibly I'd consider trying the concept with my favorite Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip, though.  At least I got my veggies in for the day!

One Year Ago: Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries - So good!
Three Years Ago: Jamie's Minestrone - Still one of my absolute favorite soups to date!

Remember, last chance to enter my Daelia's Biscuits with Cheese Giveaway.  It ends at midnight and your chances of winning are pretty good!

Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Portabellas




Ingredients 
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
  • 4-5 medium-large portabello mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Greek yogurt)
  • 1½ teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning
  • 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
  • ½ cup coarse Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Asiago cheese 

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 450˚ F.
  2. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with two thirds of the minced garlic. 
  3. Scrape the gills from the inside of the mushroom caps.  Set the mushroom caps on a baking pan, gill side up, and brush lightly with the garlic-oil mixture.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bake for 10 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, mix the filling.  Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, remaining garlic, ½ teaspoon of the Italian Seasoning, and the spinach in a medium bowl.  Stir together until evenly blended.  Gently stir in the artichokes.  Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.  Spoon the filling mixture over the roasted mushroom caps.
  5. In another small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, Asiago and remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning.  Stir with a fork to blend.  Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the filling mixture on each mushroom.  Bake for 10 more minutes or until golden and warmed through.  Serve immediately.

Source: Adapted and submitted by Jenna's Cooking Journey from Annie's Eats

3 comments:

Moviegirl03 said...

Sorry you didn't like these. Hopefully you try them again with the spinach and artichoke dip that you listed in your blog.

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

@Moviegirl03 - Not your fault and yes, maybe I'll give it another shot. Thank you for sharing, regardless!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Bummer! I've had my eye on these since I love spinach and artichoke dip.

Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!