Thursday, July 5, 2012

Macadamia Lemon Bars

One thing that I have always wanted to make is lemon bars (see my 23 in 2011 list).  But, I'll be honest.  I just never got around to it.  I had asked my friend Emily if she needed any help prepping for our friend Jackie's shower.  Call it a challenge by my friend Emily to hold me to my ambition or just plain fate but this past weekend finally forced me to finally make those lemon bars.  And, she couldn't have picked a better recipe.

These were a total hit at the bridal shower.  The bride loved it, the bride's mom, the groom's sister, my mother-in-law (who got some leftover treats), even my normally fruit-hating husband.  Everyone LOVED this recipe and I was asked twice in a single day today to please post this recipe (hence this last night posting!).  

The macadamia nuts in an already buttery and delicate crust really transformed them into something especially delicious.  I added an extra tablespoon of lemon juice (reflected below) because I like a strong lemon flavor.  Feel free to adjust it back down two tablespoons instead of three if you desire less tang.  You really can't go wrong either way with this recipe!

One Year Ago: Summer Pasta Bolognese
Two Years Ago: White Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits

PS: Have you entered to win 6 free packages of Daelia's Biscuits for Cheese?  If not, you're totally missing out and there's still time!

Macadamia Lemon Bars

Macadamia Lemon Bars

Ingredients

For the Crust:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
For the Filling:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest (preferably organic)
  • 2 Tablespoons macadamia nuts, chopped
  • Powdered sugar for dusting
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.  (Or, double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan.)
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, powdered sugar, and melted butter.  Stir in the nuts.  Press into the bottom and 1/2" up the sides of prepared baking dish.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.  (If you're making a larger pan, 20-25 minutes ought to do it.)
  3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.  Beat in the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest until light and fluffy.  Pour filling over hot crust then sprinkle with nuts.  Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned (Again, for a larger pan, bake it longer until it sets and doesn't jiggle in the center, about 20-25 minutes).  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Dust with powdered sugar and cut into bars.  Chill until ready to serve.
Source: Slightly modified from All Recipes

No comments: