Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Chips

Okay...hate to tell you this but summer is unofficially over *sad face*.  But, on the flip side, that means the weather is going to start getting cooler and I'll be able to use my oven again without feeling too bad about heating up the house.


If you told me that I could make my own chips in the oven and at home that are crispy, I'd tell you I thought you must be joking.  That is, until I tried these.  They were so addicting that I only regretted not making more of them.  I put some chipotle chili powder on mine and WOW what a  pop of flavor!  Serve it alongside your favorite sandwich or burger or just eat them as a snack.  They're kind of too good to play second fiddle, anyway.

Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Chips
Printer-Friendly Version


Yields: 2 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 sweet potato
  • vegetable or canola oil for spraying
  • sea salt
  • black pepper, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin (optional seasoning)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. 
  2. Slice potatoes with a mandolin slicer or food processor, if possible.  Spread the slices out in a single layer on baking sheets.  Spray the potatoes lightly with the oil on each side then sprinkle lightly with salt or any other seasoning. 
  3. Bake for 10-20 minutes, flipping halfway through baking time.  Be sure to monitor the chips frequently to make sure they don't burn, puling out any chips that may finish cooking early.
Source: Originally from Tiny Urban Kitchen as seen on Apple a Day

2 comments:

Amber said...

I'm a new follower, and love all of your recipes!
This one is going on my list of things to try, and I am hoping to make it very soon! So yummy, and they look pretty healthy, too!
Thanks so much for the great recipes, and I hope you have a great week!

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

Hi Amber! Thanks so much for following and commenting. I love hearing from readers so definitely let me know how you like the recipes that you try :).