Thursday, April 29, 2010

Summer Corn and Vegetable Soup

It may not be summer but I say this soup is also perfect for Spring!  It's a light and healthy soup that makes a great meal.  The ingredients are very simple but very colorful (and colorful means healthy!).  It formed a serious symphony of mouthwatering flavor when you eat (or is it drink?...depends on if you're Asian or not haha!) this soup! 

I thought when I read the recipe that it sounded pretty good but when I tried it...wow was honestly blown away!  The picture isn't so pretty because it was in the process of cooking versus plated but don't let that keep you from trying this one.  My vegetarian friends, you know the drill: swap out the chicken broth for veggie broth and then you're golden.

One ingredient that was completely new to me was hominy.  I found both the yellow and white variety in the canned vegetable aisle near the canned corn.  I opted for the yellow one to use in my soup.  Corn seems to be the closest relative to this veggie but it's a very different texture because it's soft and kind of a bit...fluffy?  When I researched it, it said something about it being soaked in lye??  Sounds scary.  Tastes delicious.  If you absolutely cannot find hominy, I suppose you can just leave it out or sub a can of corn but it won't have the same texture and fillingness when you eat it.  So guy find and buy that hominy, will ya? :)

I can definitely see me making this soup again in the future...perhaps when my CSA share starts to roll in? Then it'll truly be Summer :).

One Year Ago: Szechwan Chicken

Summer Corn and Vegetable Soup
Printer-Friendly Version



















Ingredients
  • 4 c. fresh corn kernels or 1 (16-oz.) package frozen, thawed
  • 2 c. lowfat or nonfat milk
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, diced (about 2 c.)
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 c.)
  • 1 medium zucchini, (about 1/2 lb.) diced
  • 2 c. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 (15.5 oz.) can yellow or white hominy, drained
  • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 3/4 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
  • freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the hominy and the broth and bring to a boil.
  3. Meanwhile, put the thawed corn and milk into a blender or food processor, until smooth.
  4. Add the pureed corn and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, but not boiling. Add the salt and season with pepper. Serve garnished with the basil ribbons.
Source: As seen on and adapted by Apple A Day, Originally from Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you liked this soup. My boyfriend and I both really loved it and I agree with you--why wait for summer for such a lovely dish?