Monday, February 8, 2010

Crockpot 40 Clove Garlic Chicken

Do you like it when you come home to a hot homemade meal?  The crockpot can make this dream a reality.  I found this recipe on a blog called Crockpot Tuesdays, which specializes in crockpot recipes.  I didn't make this meal on a Tuesday, though.  I prepped it in my crock pot on a Thursday night and then turned it on on a snowy Friday while Chris was home hibernating from the snow and bad Cincinnati drivers.  He said it smelled really good while it was cooking, which is a good sign!

Don't be afraid of the amount of garlic in this recipe!  It cooks so long that the garlic takes on a mellow, buttery flavor and hey, garlic is good for your heart anyway :).  Chris got scared off by all the garlic so he didn't eat his cloves...more for me!  I liked to spread my garlic over a slice of bread.  Yum!

As a recipe note, I personally found the amount of salt to be too much in this recipe so I have reduced it from it's original 3/4 tsp.  I also didn't have any white wine in the house (We're not drinkers...the only wine I have in the house is red and we only have it because it was gifted!  It is used for things like Jamie's Minestrone, Vegetable Soup, and Marinara Magnifica.  We also have some Smirnoff Vodka...but it's purpose is also for cooking - Penne a la Vodka!) and so I subbed all homemade chicken broth (unsalted...and it still turned out too salty as originally written!).  Out of laziness, I bought a jar of garlic cloves pre-peeled which made this dish even easier.  I have a leftover chicken breast and a half so I'll have to think of some way to use it later this week...I'm thinking for cutting and laying on top of a pasta dish, perhaps.

By the way, sorry about the picture quality below.  Not sure why it was focused on the veggies versus the chicken.  I really need to work on this picture taking thing with the food.  Any tips?  We have a Canon point and shoot and  I've been trying to use the macro setting without flash and just our island lights (incandescent bulbs).  I know natural lighting is supposed to be best but since I work during all day-light hours that makes it a bit challenging to say the least :P.

Crockpot 40 Clove Garlic Chicken
Printer-Friendly Version




















Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (I used boneless breasts)
  • 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 3 tsp. extra virgin olive oil]
  • 40 cloves garlic, peeled (about 3 heads)
  • 1/2 celery rib, sliced
  • 1/2 cup onion, sliced
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 3 tbsp. chicken broth
Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, herbes de Provence, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
  2. Lightly coat the stoneware of your crockpot with cooking spray. Place the chicken in the crockpot, and layer celery, onions and garlic on top. Pour in wine and chicken broth.
  3. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Source: Cuisinart as seen on Crockpot Tuesdays

2 comments:

Emily H. said...

I may just have to make this. ;) We do one crock pot meal a week, and I'm always looking for different ideas! Woo hoo!

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles said...

Yah glad you found it helpful! I should try to mix in more crockpot meals. Theres a few that I've made in the past but haven't made it to the blog yet. Since this week's menu is already set, maybe next week I'll make another.

Oh and omg you're only my 2nd commenter on my blog ever...this makes me happy! :D lol