Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Copycat Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bols

I am a big Chipotle fan.  My order?  Barbacoa fajita burrito bol topped with lettuce, tomato salsa AND corn salsa, cheese, a dab of sour cream.  Absolutely divine (and full of calories...which is why it's so yummy)!  I also love their guacamole but holy moly they charge a lot for that stuff!

Imagine my surprise when I found a copycat recipe on Elly's blog.  Sadly,  I had difficulty finding dried ancho chilies at my Kroger (hmm...this seems like a common theme lately!).  So, I looked for approriate substitutes online and ended up using chili powder.  Not quite the same effect, I'm sure.  In the end, it tasted great but not quite the Chipotle I know and love.  I'm sure part of it was due to not using the correct pepper...and the other part is that I'm used to doing the barbacoa beef versus  the chicken.

I also made some Corn and Avocado Salsa (to be posted soon, I promise!) to try to mimic the corn salsa flavor that I get at Chipotle.

Copycat Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bols
Printer-Friendly Version




















Yields: 4 Servings

Ingredients

For the Chicken
  • 2 oz. dried ancho chilies (Used about 2 Tablespoons chili powder)
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 red onion, coarsely chopped
  • 3 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 4 chicken breasts
For the Cilantro-Lime Rice
  • 1 cup rice, uncooked
  • Water
  • 1 lime
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Additional Ingredients for Topping - Salsa, guacamole, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

Directions
  1. Soak the dried chilies overnight in water. Remove stems and seeds, and chop coarsely. Add all ingredients except chicken to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Rub the marinade into the chicken and marinate at least one hour, up to 24. Season the chicken with salt to taste.
  3. The next day, rinse the uncooked rice until the water is no longer milky.  Fill the rice cooker to the marker "1" and then cook. 
  4. While the rice is cooking, grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Cut chicken into slices or cubes then set aside.
  5. After the rice has cooked, stir in the lime juice (add the zest if you want it more lime-y), cilantro, and a pinch of salt. Fluff with a fork.
  6. Assemble bols by putting a base of rice in a bowl.  Top with sliced chicken and toppings of your choice.
Source: Adapted and as seen on Elly says Opa! from Chipotle Fan

No comments: