Sunday, October 18, 2009

Christine's Fried Rice

I found another use for that leftover turkey.  I must admit (and hang my head in shame) that until this past week I have NEVER made fried rice before!  I know...what kind of Chinese person am I?!  But, I had tons of leftover refrigerated rice from our dinner party and also leftover turkey from another night's dinner and so a creative solution was born!  Everybody in the know knows that they key to great fried rice is that it's nice and cold/refrigerated so this was a perfect use!  I would have loved to use Momma L's recipe for fried rice but alas, most things like this (and most family Chinese food recipes in general) do not have written recipes.  And so I searched the internet for a point to begin and then found the inspiration from the inner Momma Louie in myself to create this original recipe.  I thought it turned out very good for my first attempt and I hope you enjoy it

Christine's Fried Rice
Printer-Friendly Version



INGREDIENTS
  • 2 c. white rice (uncooked)
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 c. various cooked meat (ham, chicken, turkey, shrimp, etc.), diced 
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs (optional)
  • Oyster sauce, to taste (start with about 1 tsp.) 
  • Reduced sodium soy sauce, to taste
  • Seasoning salt, to taste
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste 
  • Drizzle of sesame oil (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Make rice in a rice cooker per your unit's directions then put in refrigerator until well cooled.  Day old rice works best! 
  2. In a small bowl, thaw frozen vegetables by adding some water.  Drain and set aside.
  3. Heat wok over high heat. Pour in oil, then stir in onions, mixed vegetables, and meat; cook until onions are translucent and meat is heated.
  4. If desired, crack in eggs, stirring quickly to scramble eggs with vegetables and meat.
  5. Stir in cooked cooled rice. Shake in oyster sauce, soy sauce, and seasonings tossing rice to coat.  Heat until rice is warmed.  Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. 
  6. Drizzle with sesame oil if desired and toss again.  Serve hot.
Source: A Christine's Kitchen Chronicles original inspired by Momma L. and the internet

No comments: