Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cha Cha's White Chicken Chili

It's not often that I find a recipe that is TOO hot for me (I usually have to ADD some heat)!  This one...well, it was too hot as written but with some modifications it would be delicious without burning your mouth up :).  I had made this a few times in the past but it's been awhile so I must have forgotten about this and my tweaks so now I have a spicy batch.  For those coming to the open house, ask me to try a bite if you like it hot!!  I also think it's a bit too thin to be a "chili" as written so I took some steps to make it a bit more hearty.  I figure this is pretty darn healthy because it has no oil or fat other than what's in the broth and chicken meat.  And all those beans must add up to a good amount of fiber.  ("Beans beans they're good for your heart, the more you eat the more you fart, the more you fart the better you feel, so eat some beans with every meal!" Ha!)  Below are my modifications.

Cha Cha's White Chicken Chili
(Source: Modified from All Recipes)

PREP TIME
10 Min
COOK TIME
45 Min
READY IN
55 Min
SERVINGS 4

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 ounce canned diced jalapeno peppers, drained 
  • 6 ounce canned chopped green chile peppers, drained 
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional - for more heat) 
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can water 
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained 
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a stockpot on high heat, add chicken broth and can of water.  Heat until boiling then add chicken breast and reduce heat to simmer.
  2. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, green chiles, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. 
  3. Cook for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked throughout. 
  4. Remove chicken and let cool on cutting board or plate for several minutes before shredding into bite size pieces.  Return chicken pieces to soup.
  5. While the chicken is cooling, add 2 cans of beans to soup.  Take the third and mash the beans before adding to the soup.  Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
  6. Remove the soup from heat.  Slowly stir in the cheese until melted.  Serve warm with tortilla chips and top with a dallop of sour cream, if desired.

No comments: