Saturday, June 13, 2009

Exquisite Pizza Sauce

After a long day of shopping for kitchen cabinets and appliances we decided to make a quick lunch out of pita pizzas.  I remembered I had a can of tomato paste sitting around and a recipe for pizza sauce that I'd been wanting to try and boy am I glad we did this instead of the usual jarred pizza (or sometimes even spaghetti) sauce!  I have some leftovers in the fridge and some extra pitas...I wouldn't be surprised if we make more later tonight :P.  Since I didn't have parmesan on hand I just used shredded Italian blend cheese and doubled up on the red pepper flakes because I didn't have any Cayenne.  No anchovies for us but I'll leave it since it was in the original recipe in case someone cares for little fishies :).  I added a splash of olive oil for flavor and to help the flavors blend.  To save time, I let the sauce sit and blend for about 10 minutes and then began assembling the pita pizzas.  I figured even if I spoon it out of the bowl it's still blending...and we were hungry!

Try it - you'll never go back and it truly is EXQUISITE as the title says! 

Exquisite Pizza Sauce
(Source: modified from All Recipes)
Exquisite Pizza Sauce Recipe
PREP TIME
10 Min
READY IN
40 Min
Original recipe yield 1 pizza
SERVINGS 4

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
  • 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
  • salt to taste
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, water, Parmesan cheese, garlic, honey, anchovy paste, onion powder, oregano, marjoram, basil, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, olive oil, and salt; mix together, breaking up any clumps of cheese.
  2. Sauce should sit for 30 minutes to blend flavors; spread over pizza dough or pita bread.  Top with cheese and desired toppings.  Bake according to dough directions (or for pita bread, 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is slightly crispy) 

No comments: